What To Expect - FAQs
Ok, this is a big question and to give you a decent picture, the answer comes in several parts:
- Profile: Age-wise, we are a diverse church and our members range from infants to great-grandparents. However, we have a lot of couples and young families in the morning. We are a mid-sized church with attendance of about 70-90 people per week so we are small enough to recognise new people and we will do our best to make you feel welcome.
- Beginning: Our gathering begins at 10:00am on Sunday mornings although we encourage you to come early so you can find a seat without feeling rushed. As you walk through the door, you will be greeted by our welcomers and handed our weekly newsletter. We understand that visiting a church for the first time can be a little intimidating so we will introduce ourselves to you to check if you need anything or we can make you feel more at home. As we find our seats, we open the gathering with worship music.
- Music: We worship God with modern contemporary worship music. Our worship teams leads us each week in song and people are free to participate in whatever way they feel most appropriate. You are welcome to kneel or to dance, to praise with your arms and hands outreached or simply to stand or sit.
- Other parts service: As a church family we offer testimonies of what God has done for us, pray together and hear a passage of scripture read.
- Offering: During our Sunday Gatherings there is an opportunity to give towards an offering. We give as an act of worship and to contribute together towards the financial needs of the church. Giving is completely voluntary and you are free to choose not to.
- Sermons: The preaching at YCBC is a mix of exegetical and topical teaching. And if those words are both foreign to you, it basically means that we sometimes begin with a bible passage and explore what it means for us today and sometime we begin with a theme or topic that is relevant for today and explore what the bible has to say about it.
- Post sermon: A typical service is finished by 11:30am however we invite you to stay and share morning tea and fellowship with us afterwards. This is a great time to meet people, ask questions and get a real feel for the church community.
During the school terms, our Kid’s Church includes children from 4 years to 12 years. We run age appropriate programs to engage children alongside the main gathering. Our children join in the first part of our worship gathering that includes worship music and move to their own space during the sermon. During the holidays we provide a mix of activity sheets and videos.
Jesus didn’t provide a dress code for his followers so neither do we. We encourage you to come as you are.
Not unless you want to. If you have a personal bible that you would like to bring along or a journal that you like to write notes in, you are more than welcome. However, we also have bibles here for you to use if you wish or you may just want to listen and watch.
Yes. We have dedicated disabled parking spots in front of the building and the building itself is all on one level. We also have an accessible bathroom situated off a wide corridor.
We are a warm and friendly community of believers united by our common mission to love Jesus and one another. We strive to practice grace and compassion and work hard at providing great hospitality. Everyone should feel comfortable when they walk through our doors. In the end, the best way to find out is to pay us a visit.